24.2.14

Gluten Free Donuts



When I bought my first donut pan a few months ago I wasn't expecting to use it as much as I have. Probably because I wasn't expecting to find such a great recipe that's so delicous and so easy to make. I've only made donuts about 2 or 3 times, both times I fried them and both times I wasn't happy with how they turned out. They tasted okay, but all I could focus on was that "fried" taste. They were time consuming and if you didn't eat them as they came out of the fryer then they tasted even worse. And most of all I hated that crappy feeling I got after eating them. So I started searching for a donut pan so I could make donuts more often and not as unhealthy. It took me about 4 months to find a donut pan but I finally found it at Kitchen Stuff Plus for about $11. It makes 6 regular sized donuts and stupid me, I only bought one. But it's probably my favourite thing ever! Which is a problem, because now I can't stop making donuts. Oops.

So here's the recipe for these delicious donuts. You can top them however you like, but I've also posted two recipes for my favourite toppings. To see how I made them watch the video posted below!

Ingredients

4 tablespoons Softened Butter
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
½ cup Sugar
⅓ cup Brown Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
¾ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1 tablespoon Vanilla
2 ⅔ cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 cup Milk (non-dairy works too!)

Directions

 Preheat oven to 425℉
    1.Using a stand mixer (or hand held mixer!) cream together sugars, butter and oil.
 
    2. Beat in the eggs and scrape down the sides

    3. Mix in the baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and vanilla

    4. Alternate adding 1/3 of the flour, half the milk, 1/3 of the flour, the rest of the milk and finish
       with 1/3 of the flour and mix until combined

    5. Grease the donut pan with cooking spray

    6. Pour the batter into a piping bag or a Ziploc freezer bag and pipe into the donut pan

    7. Bake for 9-10 minutes, transfer to a wire wrack to cool

Toppings

Cinnamon Sugar donut topping

    1. Place 2-3 heaping tablespoons of Icing Sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of milk into a bowl and mix.

    2. Mix some white sugar and cinnamon on a plate (the amount of cinnamon is based on your
       personal preference. Start with 1/2 a teaspoon and work your way up)

    3. Dip the donuts into the icing sugar & milk mixture and then into the cinnamon sugar

    4. Devour.

Chocolate Ganache donut topping

    1. Place 1 cup of chocolate chips, 4 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of vanilla into a double
      boiler

    2. Mix often until fully melted

    3. Remove from heat and add vanilla

    4. Dip donuts into chocolate ganache

    5. Devour.


No comments:

Post a Comment